[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Seagate Quench Gap (splitting mica)

At 10:14 PM 5/3/96 -0600, you wrote:
>>From adams-at-intranet.caFri May  3 22:13:19 1996
>Date: Thu, 02 May 1996 20:29:16 -0400
>From: adams-at-intranet.ca
>To: tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Seagate Quench Gap (splitting mica)
>
>Hi guys,
>
>In a previous post->

>C.L Strong in his 1963 book "Procedures in Experimental Physics"
>(Prentice-Hall Inc.) describes how to split mica sheets dowm to 0.036 mm
>(.0014 inches) or less.
>The following is paraphrased from the text on pages 388 and 389.
>
>Trim the starting sheet to the desired size with sharp tin snips.  Fray out
>one corner of the starting sheet by rubbing it.  A clean dissecting needle
>is introduced to divide the sheet approximately in half. A DROP OF WATER is
>introduced into the hole produced.  The mica is then split all the way
>around the edges  by working the needle along, point first, at an angle of
>30 degrees so that the first cleavage starts inside the boundary of the
>sheet. This avoids a terraced cleavage. After going around once, introduce
>another drop of water and carefully draw the plates apart.  Apparently the
>water makes the plates come apart as easily as the pages of a book.  Repeat
>with the two sheets produced, eachtime dividing the sheet in half, until the
>desired thickness is reached.
>
>I haven't tried this but it sounds pretty straight forward.  You might need
>a little more than a single drop of water if you're doing a large sheet.
>
>Regards
>
>Harry Adams
>adams-at-intranet.ca

I have not yet given up on the Seagate Quench Gap. Although I was using
mica, I have thought more of another way. I was wondering about conductive
epoxy and did some research on it. I have found that there is a conductive
epoxy which has milli-ohmage rating, I am going to try to mail order some.
If it works well like I think it will then the need for the mica will be
illiminated. I will glue a 3.5" disc on each side of a 5.25 disc to make 1
spark layer. So what keeps them apart? I have been looking into rubber
type substances that handle higher temperatures. I would make o-rings
(they would have to be perfect) and not only use the rubber o-ring for
sealing out air but also as the gap distance. This gives a greater spark
area.

                        Exagerated Side View

3.5
----  5.25
                    (   )    -----------------------------------------     (
)    3.5
                    (   )
(   )
                    (   )
(   )    rubber o-ring
)    3.5
---- 5.25
3.5

More later........................Bob Schumann

* If you understand, things are just as they are.        *
* If you do not understand, things are just as they are. *