[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Filter Choke Design

Hi all,
        I just saw a note on SMPS cores and would like to add a bit of
information. The high permeability core used for the input common-mode
filter is a sure-fire to saturate with a fairly low ampere-turns
applied. Jim explained the way these chokes are wound. They are used
to reject noise appearing on both the windings and therefore have a
high initial permeability to obtain high inductance with only a few
turns. IMO they are totally unsuitable for Tesla filtering.
   The iron-powder cores (low permeability) on the other hand would
be far better for our application IMO. However, they do require a lot
of turns to get a reasonable inductance.

Penny in the slot,
Malcolm