[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

WIRE CHART

Hello Richard,
Again, thanks for your time and excellent answers! I look forward
to reading your posts, you could write THE book on building coils!
I'll start winding as soon as I get my wife's car (another project!)
cleared out of the garage.

 > Would there be any advantage of using a honeycomb wound copper
 > tubing primary over a flat or saucer shape? (other than it
 > would look purdy :)

 Ri> I am not sure what you are referring to. Please expound a bit.

I am not good at "ascii art", so I'll try to explain what I mean:
If you could take a board and put nails in it in a circle, driven
in at right angles to the plane of the board so that it looks like
a cage of vertical nails and then wind the turns in and out of the
nails in sort-of-a solenoid fashion (an odd number of "nails" is
needed so that every turn "crosses" the other and they do not lie
directly over each other) This results in a coil with a low
parasitic interwinding capacitance. Of course, the coil would be
copper tubing and the "nails" steel pipe screwed into floor flanges
on a piece of 3/4" plywood. (The pipe form is removed after winding!)
This type of coil was used in "ancient" (1906-1925) radios before
the advent of mass produced machine made windings, and I've seen
them used with tubing in a couple of pictures of spark transmitters.
Of course, like many of the "ancient" methods, there may be no
merit in doing it this way. I hope that my "explaination" is OK!

Thanks again,
Brad Alheim

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12