[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla and Measurements.

Bert,

I have a few minor comments on the optimum primary.  I agree to an extent
with what you are saying.  What works....works.  This is the maxim magnus of
experimentation.  Our large number of turns/small capacitance statement
merely was to tell coilers to break the habitual, monkey see/monkey do
mindset of Tesla coil building.  Many of our coils responded well to the
large primary inductances.  The common wisom, however, was against such
setups.

The botom line is that if one uses a large capacitance, one must have a lot
of power to plow into same!  Most amateur builders are in the single KW
range and a .03 is a bit strong or stiff for this.  Again, I am not saying
that it can't be used.

The terminal capacitance, just like the tank capacitance is purely a
function of power!  This is really bizarre!  A  .01 capactior in the
earliest variants of Maggy #11 was giving 96" point to point arcs from the
large 10X45 toroid, but we had to feed it 3KW of power before the first 6"
arc broke out!  Another KW beyond this and the 8 footers were there.
The arcs were white and bright, but thin (a function of the small tank
capacitance).  This whole business is one of synergy and balance, which I
have harped on since day one back in late 1988.  You can go ridiculous on
any sizing of components, but to balnace it, you might have to do strange
stuff at another point in the system to counter-balance.

Naturally a lot of moderates might say why not just hang the fully balanced
middle of the road!  Fine, but some very interesting and amazing things can
happen at extremes.  Witness the effect of giant toroids.  First discovered
by Tesla, then never looked at again.  I am amazed that no one until our
group in 1990 made terminal capacitances of obscene sizes since Tesla's day.
 He saw the effect in Colorado, but noted that the pole antenna was a bad
shape.  This he was planning to correct at wardenclyff!

Bottom line. ..... If if works, don't struggle to fix it!
From: tesla
To: 73041.2215; 73663.1536; BrittB7556; JHERRON; JOHNBATES3; abourass;
atech; davide; funkadelic; jbiehler; jfalcon; jmonty; kg7bz; koppemha;
logue; mackte; osburnw; pinsky; richardh; rmessick; rnicker; rwstephens;
shu95mmc; stevej; twill19; yiorgos
Subject: Re: Tesla and Measurements.
Date: Tuesday, March 26, 1996 12:05PM