[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HV PFC Capacitance ?

Hi all,

> I'm sure someone in this forum can point out why DC line filtering caps
> are not good choices for Tesla coils. I'm assuming that's true 'cause
> nobody seems to use them. However, for me they seem to work fine.

They have a high ESR (read dissipation factor under high frequency AC
conditions). Ones I have examined internally have a number of units
in series and very few connections to the foils. This also means
they cannot deliver current pulses in the hundreds of amps range. My
coil performance doubled when I switched to homemade extended foil
plastic film capacitors.

Malcolm