[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Introduction

>My name is Tom Apps and I would like to join in with the Tesla group.  I

        :) Me, too.

>I would like to start making a coil of substantial size, ( no sense

        Except, I'm pretty broke and would like to start with something of a
regular size. Not tiny, but nothing huge and expensive either. :)

>I'm looking for good recommendations where to start. A local plastics
>supply shop has a selection of 30mil and 60mils rolls of polyethelene
>and clear Mylar for the makings of the tank cap. I currently have a 12kv
>30ma neon xformer but still looking for more.
>Any suggestions are greatfully received.

        Here is where I'm lost. I know _NOTHING_ of Tesla coils, though I do
have a good working knowledge of electrical currents, and the way "most"
electricity works. I realize that Tesla-style electricity is something of an
abnormality.

        How would a newbie like me make a Tesla coil? Where do I get the
parts to make power supplies, etc? Or do I need to buy a special power
supply? Please bear with me :) I'm clueless in this matter, though I'll be
fine once I get the first one done, and might even be able to contribute
something to the group. (no promises, but I'll try!)

        Thanks in advance to everyone who can give me a helping hand :) I'd
LOVE to play with wireless power and other niffty things in the future, soon
as I get the basics down. I noticed something awhile back about a Jewelry
making operation? My father makes jewelry and has tons of tools and
machines, ovens, vibrating pads and everything else one needs to cast &
design rings. So, I know a bit about some of these items.

        well, thanks again. :)

Regards,

     Ryan