[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tank Circuit Stray Inductance...

Tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com On Thu, 7 Mar 1996 11:30:24 +0700, you wrote:

>>From dll-at-egg-rb-dot-com Thu Mar  7 09:12 MST 1996

>Since the resistance of a spark gap varies from infinity to near zero during
>operation, the effective resistance is computed by dividing the total energy
>dissipated in the gap per pulse by the action (integral of I^2 dt).  For air
>gaps having spacings less than 0.25" this typically turns out to be between
>0.05 and 0.5 ohms.  I would be happy to elaborate on the techniques used to
>determine the energy transfer efficiencies of capacitor discharge circuits if
>anyone is interested.

dll,
	thank you, But I'm confused.  When I was running my tesla coil
at 7.5Kv, 13.7nf and 2 parallel 6 0.018" spark gaps, I saw about 5 or
6 pulses per half cycle on my scope. Now, even assuming a full 7.5Kv
on the cap, 1/2 C V^2  * PPS =  138 ws, they get very hot very fast!
That in it self,indicates that they are dissipating much more than the
prior number would lead me to believe. Or am I not quenching my gaps
fast enough, so they are dissipating energy from the mains
transformer, at the time 7.5Kv -at- 60ma. Comments?

	jim