[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotating spark-gap materials?

Hello Kristian:

>The question is which mechanical parameters are those to look for
>in the material - tensile strenght, bulk modulus, ?? and how to
>calculate the minimum values needed. I'm not a mechanical engineer
>so I don't have the experience about this. Anybody on the list with
>knowhow on this one? I'd pretty much guess that thick bacelite disk
>would do fine..

    I'm just finishing the prints for the rotary/series gap that I
plan on constructing during March.  About two weeks ago I did dig
out the formula for calculating stress in a rotating flat disk.
Right now it is sitting in my bookshelf at work.  I will get it and
send it to you tomorrow.
    I was planning on using a 13" diameter G-10 glass epoxy disk and
ran the numbers on it.  My calculation showed a stress of about 8300
psi at 10,000 RPM.  I don't know if I'll ever need that speed, but
that is the worst case for the disk.  G-10 material has a tensile
strength of 38,000 psi so for this situation things look O.K.  I
haven't bought the material yet, so after seeing the price you got,
things may change!

Chuck Curran