[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tesla Coil Questions

Hello, I have a few questions here:

  I have a 6" coil, 888 turns.  It has a toroid, aprox 20" x 4" (it's a
little on the eliptical side, is that a problem?  I know this toroid
lowers the frequenency, and I'm looking to build the receiving coil.
What length should I start with on the receiving coil?  I don't know how
much lower the frequency is.  Any advice on tuning the receiver?

  What do people here use to spin their PVC pipe's when applying
varnish?

  What makes a good counterpoise?

  Is the light coming from the spark gap hazardous to look at?

  I will be powering this coil (hasn't been completed yet) with a used
neon sign transformer, 15kv, 60ma.  I was thinking it may be worth it to
bring the voltage up slowly, rather than turning it on at once?  If so,
is this something I should look into?  If it is, how do I do it?  I
could easily do it with a large transistor and a pot, but I've been told
solid-state stuff won't work well, especially near the transmitter.

  If you are building a transmitting coil, is RFI good?

  What exactly is a faraday cage, and how is it made?  What are it's
affects, especially relating to the transmission of power.  Can we
transmit power with a faraday cage?

  That's all :)  Sorry about all the questions, I saved them all for one
message.

Josh W. Perfetto
Josh W. Perfetto

---
Sent via WorldLink on 02/29/96 at 19:08:02.
From: Tidal Wave BBS
      Altamont, NY
      The best around!