[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: D.C. Cox TCBA Article

1.  Do you agree that the "recommended" circuit (fig. D) is better than the
"conventional" circuit (fig. A)?
2.  Do you agree that the torroid and air-core chokes described are
appropriate & adequate?
3.  Do you agree that additional "safety gaps" (and "capacitors to
ground") are not needed in the "recommended" circuit?
4.  Do you agree that fewer than 5 gaps in series should be used for a 30mA
transformer, and that "overquenching" is a concern?  If less than 5, how
many? (Cox's article was unclear about this)
<<<<
1)  Personally, I'm not convinced that the recommended circuit is that much
    better.  I've smoked neon sign transformers with both types of circuits.
    I've never heard anyone advocating the conventional over the recommended
    circuit though, so I use the recommended circuit now.

2)  No data.

3)  No.  Since I've smoked neons using a very similar configuration to the one
    advocated, I would have to say that the protection that I'm using isn't
    enough.

4)  I have found that 6 gaps of the parallel tube type (1" diameter Cu tubes,
    with a 0.030 gap) works the best.  I have tried more, but my spark output
    decreased.  I have also tried fewer gaps, but the output seems best at 6
    for me.  (I have a 15kV system)

    I don't think that "over quenching" is really the problem.  If it was,
    it would be good for magnifiers.  From what I can remember (one of
    the Richards will hopefully correct me on this where I am wrong),
    The problem lies in the fact that a given voltage can only jump a
    certain distance.  When that distance is broken up into pieces that
    are too small, the spark won't quench very well because the ionized
    atmosphere between the gaps can't flow well at all.  From what I
    have observed, having too many gaps without enough clearance between
    them gives the same observable behavior as one or two gaps with the
    spacing needed for a 6 gap gap (0.030).

    Since everyone's system is slightly different, I recommend having too many
    gaps in series and providing a means of tapping the gap at different
    intervals.  That way you can find the optimal solution without running out
    of room for adjustment.

		Chip