[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Flyback Transformers

"My other coil produces 22" streamers
to a grounded target.  But, while making this measurement, I watch as
other, longer streamers zip (zap?) right past said target.  Why is the
grounded target a less attractive destination for TC discharges?"

Well, I am going to stick my neck out much further than I should. The
potential difference of a TC without any terminal capacitance should be
greatest towards the common earth ground, but now when one adds an
increasing terminal capacitance (a torus) the potential difference
becomes more influenced by the surounding space and not the common
ground. This is why, I asume, is the partial reason we acheve greater
free air discharge length with large torus. I have had my magnifier
running with a 4.5"x16" torus with a small wire taped to the bottom
pointed down shooting sparks down to the wooden table (24") only 5" from
the bottom of my tirtary with only occasional hits to the bottom of the
coil.
 Now I am probibly way off, but hey thats sticking my neck out

David Trimmell <dwt-at-efn-dot-org>

PS: Anyone who has not read Richard Hull's Guide to the CS Notes is
really missing out. Richard- it is refreshing to get just the facts and
not the fiction. A very good work.