[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotatry Gaps motors

Jim Fosse wrote:

> Subject: Re: Rotatry Gaps motors

SNIP

> Since then I been using a 30VDC "tape drive" spindle motor. It will
> run over 7000 rpm (around 1800 breaks per second, potentially, I've
> not scope it yet to see what the real numbers are). It gives a much
> smoother output. I've also purchased a 1/15 HP 1800 RPM synchronous
> motor, but because of it's small shaft, I've not tried it yet.
>
>         cheers,
>
>         jim

Jim:
	I would be very interested in what speed you find to be the most
successful when you test various settings with your motors.  The reason I
am curious is that I hope to have my rotary in use in about 2 weeks,
along with the rest of the system.  I've tried to learn as much as
possible through the postings over the last 8 months and now several
that I read come to mind.  At first, I had the impression that a high
speed rotary gap was the hot set up, but now I have the understanding
from several posts that the high speed gap is ideal for a magnifier, but
not a two coil system.  My memory is less than perfect so I apologize if
I misquote someone, but I thought Richard Quick was suggesting good
results with about 450 bps last fall and Richard Hull was indicating less
than 1000 bps for two coil systems.  If either Richard reads this or if
anyone else has a better record system (or memory!), please clarify this
for me.
	Just thought I would mention this for your consideration.  I
started my rotary with the intent of actually using the Carter 1 H.P.
motor that several of us purchased from C&H and running it at high RPM
(it's a 0-10,000 RPM universal motor).  I think right now I will target a
lower speed and bps rate, but I am sure eager to learn as much as
possible before making huge clouds of acrid smoke!!

Comments and thoughts appreciated.

Chuck Curran