[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: D.C. Cox TCBA Article

Tesla List wrote:

> > > Subject: D.C. Cox TCBA Article
> > Subject: Re: D.C. Cox TCBA Article
>
> >From ccurran-at-execpc-dot-comThu Jun 20 22:19:57 1996
> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 20:50:05 -0500
> From: Chuck Curran <ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: D.C. Cox TCBA Article
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > > Subject: D.C. Cox TCBA Article
> >
> > >From hullr-at-whitlock-dot-comWed Jun 19 18:11:16 1996
> > Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 11:22:15 -0700
> > From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
> > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > Subject: Re: D.C. Cox TCBA Article
> >
> > Tesla List wrote:
> > >

> > My little "micro" system consisted of a .003ufd cap, secondary coil
> >2"X5" using a 4KV 30ma neon (only 40 volts in from the variac- ~50VA)
> >and a large 10 inch toroid.  I wanted and got RF radiation and a large
> >E-field with 15 gaps.  To get longest sparks, I woud have altered the
> >system to use only 1 to 4 wide set gaps and a 12 KV transformer with a
> >6" toroid.
> >

> > Richard Hull, TCBOR
>
> Hello Richard:
>     The closing comment of yours shown above has me wondering if I might
> have mis-understood some of the information on toroid sizing.  I hope you
> might comment on the physical size of the toroid I built, in a system
> where maximizing spark is the goal.  I have a 48" diameter toroid with 6"
> aluminum duct as the outer rim, this being mounted on a 8" diameter by
> 28" long coil.  I have a 14,400 VAC 10kva pole pig and one of the .025 CP
> caps.  My question is, in the above comment I see where you suggest
> reducing toroid size to get best spark, while I thought I had read in the
> TCBA News from early this year where a toroid 2-3 times the secondary
> winding length was considered ideal, assuming enough power was available
> in your article(from memory, not a quote).  I'm sitting here simply
> puzzled, wondering if my toroid is too big, or maybe too small!  Any
> comments would be appreciated-Thanks
>
> Chuck Curran

Chuck,

You'll note that not only did I reduce the toroid size, but increased the
power input, too.  This is where a bit of knowledge about real and past
"working systems" leaps into the picture and the theory, generalizations
and chatter have to bow out.

I will make a single comment with a few simple provisions.  The bigger
the toroid the longer the spark!  (I've always stated this)..... If and
only if you have a synegistic balanced, resonator of high inductance and
provide power far beyond that required to have spark break out of the
toroid.

My little coil didn't have a lot of inductance (8mh), I had to reduce the
toroid to synergize it for spark at its inductance.  I had to up the
power (via voltage in this case) in order to gaurantee break out and lots
of excess energy to push the hot sparks out to good distances.

Based on what I read of your system, it is just about perfect, provided a
good gap is used and moderate break rates are used.

Richard Hull, TCBOR