[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Drawing arcs to your body

While running our small (1KW) coil me and my friend dave noticed
something interesting. I was standing fairly close to the coil (4
feet or so beyond the longest streamers). Dave was farther away. I
reached out to dave and was able to draw a small arc between our
index fingers! Neither of us were grounded. I assume this was from
the powerful RF field generated by the coil and the fact that I was
closer than dave and had a higher potential than he did.

The fact that this small coil could induce such voltages without any
direct connection like holding a metal rod in the streamers should be
a warning to anyone that wants to draw arcs to themself!

I use an insulated rod with a ground wire attached to the tip when I
want to draw arcs.

It's MUCH safer than using your body as a lightning rod !!!

Luke Mester
Internet: lmester-at-access.k12.wv.us
http://bhs.broo.k12.wv.us/homepage/staff/lmester/lmester.htm
Fidonet: luke.mester-at-1:129/202
Brooke High School
RD 3 box 610 bruin drive
Wellsburg WV 26070
(304) 527-1410 Ext. 61

Try our WWW & FTP -at- bhs.broo.k12.wv.us
Try our BBS -at- (304) 527-3255 33,600bps
Have some High voltage fun and try my Tesla Coil page -at-:
http://bhs.broo.k12.wv.us/homepage/staff/lmester/lmtc.htm