[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: car computers & TCs

>>From davide-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-netThu Jul 18 22:33:39 1996
>Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 22:36:02 +0000
>From: David Euans <davide-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net>
>To: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
>Subject: car computers & TCs

>Has anyone had the misfortune or heard of anyone who fried a car's
>computer with a TC?  I would guess that they are fairly well shielded,
>but thought I'd ask before firing a coil outdoors within 50-100 feet
>of neighbors' and my cars.

>Dave Euans

Dave, All,

The good thing about having an accident and frying someone's car
computer is that, if they are using that vehicle in a legal fashion,
they will be insured against such a loss!,... but I digress.

I have a late model GMC Saffari minivan, everything is on the
computer.  I have run a 900 watt (15KV-at-60MA) disruptive discharge
Tesla coil using the chassis of my van as the sole source of ground
counterpoise while running from a 1400 watt Honda generator.  The
computer and radio survived.  I have also operated a 1000 watt (RF
output!) vacuum tube powered TC inside this van once from an
extention cord to the guy's house  because it was
too bright outside during the day where I wanted to show it off.
Again the computer and radio survived.  I had the same concerns that
you addressed in your question.

It would appear that you don't have to worry too much about this one.

I caution you however NOT to install an electromagnetic can crusher
or water exploder under the hood of your car.  This would definitely
be flirting with disaster!

Happy Coiling!, everywhere, rwstephens