[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: PFC for neons

7/13/96

All,

As a newcomer to this sport, I probably missed the previous threads on
PFC.  My understanding is the primary load of the transformer
introduces inductance which shifts the phase angle causing a portion of
the power to be converted to reactive power.

Capacitance may be added in series with the primary and at the driving
frequency of the mains, a tank circuit is formed with capacitive
reactance balancing inductive reactance.  The power factor is thus
"corrected" and power appears resistive rather than reactive.  Please
correct me, if this is incorrect.

My question is how does this PFC influence the transformer secondary?
I assume there is higher secondary power output?  How does this work?
Does mutual inductance between the primary and secondary play a role?
If mutual inductance does play a role, does addition of a PFC capacitor
in the primary circuit help protect the secondary against kickback?

RWW