[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: car computers & TCs

Tesla List wrote:

> >From SROYS-at-radiology.ab.umd.eduWed Jul 24 21:41:24 1996
> Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 10:43:11 EDT
> From: SROYS <SROYS-at-radiology.ab.umd.edu>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: car computers & TCs
>
> > Dave,
> >
> > I doubt it very, very seriously with natures lightning strikes, a car
> > would be the ultimate shield.
> >
> > Richard Hull, TCBOR
>
> That's assuming it's one of those good old metal-bodied monsters (i.e.
> - a Faraday cage).  I would imagine that a fiberglass Corvette would be
> a less than ideal place to take a lightning strike in ;-)
>
> I read someplace that lightning strikes to plastic/fiberergalss/etc...
> airplanes is also more problematic than to the older metal jobs.
>
> Steven Roys (sroys-at-radiology.ab.umd.edu)

Steve,

Good thinking!  I have collected old 60-65 Lincoln Continentals for years
as you may know, and I was used to "real metallic cars".  Somehow I lost
touch and deluded myself with the false impression that a 2.7 ton solid
metal personal vehicle was the norm.  My old 4 door 64 convertible (rag
top) shows a registration card curb weight of 5990 lbs.  The sedans are
even more!

Modern cars are starting to evolve as more strict pollution standards
militate for smaller engines and lighter bodies.  Corvette broke the
"metal tradition" years ago.  I predict that cars of the future,
especially electrics, will make use of the composite body more often to
increase range.

Tesla coilers of the future may have to carry magnets around with them
before firing to see if any nearby vehicles ar in danger of having their
computers zapped!

Richard Hull, TCBOR