[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

New (fore me) Helical Resonator References

All-

	I was seaching for some papers on superconducting tunnel junctions
and my eye got caught by the following title:

	"Investigation of Superconducting Thick-Film Helical Resonator" by
A. Centeno, et al. IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, Vol 5,
No 1, March 1995, p19

	For fun you might be interested to know that they get unloaded Q of
40,000 at 66MHz for a "bulk" helix which is somewhat disappointing compared
to the copper helix which gives Q=15,000.
Anyway,	one thing lead to another, and through this article I found two
more interesting references:

	"Field Analysis of Helical Resonators with Constant-Bandwidth
Filter Application" by D. Miley et al., IEEE Transactions on Materials and
Packaging, Vol PMP-5, No 3, Sept 1969, p 127

	"Electromagnetic Wave Propegation on Helical Structures (A Review
and Survey of Recent Progress)" by S. Sensiper, Proceeedings of the IRE,
vol 43, p149-161, (1955)

	The last paper is a bit of a suprise to me, because I missed it in
previous seaches and not many people seem to have referenced it. It has
an interesting historical review on analysis of the helix. (Mark R take
note) It appears that the first guy to puplish an analysis was H.C.
Pocklington in 1897 - this preceeds Ollendorf by 29years! and was even
before Tesla went to Colorado Springs!!

	 Anyway, since it is a review, it is probably one of the best
places to find most of the references preceeding 1955. In fact, there are
58 references listed of which 4 are references to more references! A must
have for anyone interested in the analysis for coils and magnifiers
especially.

	-Ed Harris