[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Homemade Plate Caps.

 * Carbons Sent to: usa-tesla-at-usa-dot-net

Quoting coco-at-astroman-dot-com:

> Hello, I am new to this group so pardon if this is a F.A.Q.
> but I am about to start building some flat plate capacitors,
> I am using 1/8th in. polystyrene as dialectric (for 15,000v)
> and either thin copper sheets or alluminum for the plates...
> my design is a vertical stack design submerged in mineral oil.
> my question is regarding a good adhesive to use between the
> poly and the plates...Any reccomedations?...and what effect (if
> any) will the adhesive play in the overall capacitance of the
> design?

There are a couple of these type capacitors under construction in
the various groups, and at there is at least one other person
designing one currently.

I would use aluminum sheets, either foil or the heavier flashing,
for these caps. I would construct the capacitor dry, no adhesive
or other material between the plates and the dielectric. You want
the construction to be as clean as possible.

Stack the plates and dielectric carefully. Once the stack is
built up, bind the stack with the same heavy plastic strapping
that is used on commercial boxes, small shipping containers, etc.
This stuff is available from large hardware and shipping centers.
With the stack bound tightly (wedge in some plastic foam under
the straps to increase the tension), bring all of your extending
tabs together and connect them. Gently lower the capacitor into
the tank. For the tanks you can use rectangular trash cans;
though they are narrower at the bottom and wider at the top, you
can design the capacitor stack to fit perfectly into the base and
then stuff the excess space around the sides with plastic foam.
This packing will reduce vibration, apply even pressure to hold
the capacitor together, and displace oil. Once you get the
capacitor well packed into the tank, then make your buss
connections from your tabs to your terminals. Then fill with
mineral oil.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12