[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: secondary forms

   [snip]
 >Could you use a  long cylinder
   [snip]
 > the Mylar or Poly), and then coat the inside with more epoxy. Now all that
 > should be left is a coil held togeather with epoxy, no other form, no PVC.
If
 > there was enough epoxy it seems like it would hold togeather. Please let
me
 > know the + and - of this idea, I am sure someone has thought of this
already,
 > but I am curious.

>I'll be using varnish rather than epoxy and I'm planning on
 >retaining the polyethylene sonotube wrap although my plans are still
 >somewhat hazy on this. A free-standing coil is an attractive
 >proposition but raises some interesting problems when it comes to
 >handling strength, mounting terminals etc.

>Malcolm

Gentleman,
        Why don't you try winding a coil on a paper towel or toilet paper
tube as a small scale experiment. Then try the breaking strength. I'm
concerned that the tube will accordian apart given any lateral force. Most
cylinders are pi-wound with fiber and then coated with epoxy. Without the
fibers you only have the tensile strength of the epoxy to resist tension
induced by the lateral force.

                        jim