[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformers

Kristian,

        Thank you for the ideas.

>With the core-dimensions mentioned I'd guess that it won't handle
 >more than about 1 kW..

I would concure with this. say 15kv -at- 60ma.

>That 6500W and 220V 50A most propably means
 >the specs of the power going to the lamp when it is lit - not the
 >starting xformer.. In fact, that xformer might not even be designed
 >for continuous use as I think that the arc-lamp will sustain the
 >arc once triggered..

Yes, 6500 watts would be the lamp. It IS rated intermitant duty. Xenon lamps
take kilovolts to start and then sustain at arround 100 volts. in fact
6500w/50a = 130V and like all gas discharges must be current limited.

>btw: those zenon etc. lamps used at projectors etc. are at a high-pressure
 >and when they break they will explode violently with glass flying to the
 >surroundings.. Those are not something to play with.. The xformers running
 >the lights are interesting as well - I've got a unit with three 24V 40A
 >xformers and rectifying diodes for that..

Don't have the lamp.  I shure would want to light a 6500 watt lamp anywhere
near me, the heat alone would burn me. If I did have the lamp I would play
with it as a flash tube and only a couple of hundred joules of energy.

>>         Now for the confusing part. When I connect an ampeure meter to
 >> resistor 1 ohm = 0uV. 250 ohm = 5v => 20ma, 2100 ohm = 43v => 20.5ma. Am
>>I missing some fact about shunt limited transformers?

>>Apparently it won't supply current to a short circuit (ampere meter) but
 >>to a load it supplies 20ma.. Sounds reasonable - it propably won't take
 >>much current to trigger the lamp and it's shunting is designed for that
 >>application.

I totally forgot the 20 primary resistance! That will lower the flux in the
primary, and therefor the current out of the secondary.

                thanks,

                jim