[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Capacitor Resolution

Well, I think I have resolved my capacitor problem.  If I had a box full of
doorknob caps I would probably try them.  As it is, I would have to buy them
from someone like C & H for $30 each and I would need five and them only have
a 30 kv dc rating.

I have two home made rolled poly caps that have been sitting in the basement
since I ruined them about a year ago.  Both have shorted internally.  Under
power, all you get is a stream of bubbles up through the oil.  I pulled them
out of their cases this morning and am attempting to drain all the oil out of
them.  What a mess.  This is going to be an interesting project.  I need .005
mfd.  What I plan to do is unroll both, cut off about 40% of the length
(shorten the plates from 93" to 55"), cut the poly accordingly.  Fix the bad
spots if I can't cut them out.  Then roll one back up with double layers of
the .062 poly.  If I can get all this back into the 6" dia pvc case, I should
have a .005 mfd cap with a conservative AC voltage rating of 15 kv.

Ed Sonderman