[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New to the group

>>From chip-at-poodle.pupman-dot-comMon Aug 19 23:02:23 1996
>Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 21:41:11 -0600 (MDT)
>From: Chip Atkinson <chip-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
>To: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
>Subject: Re: New to the group
>

>Hi all,
>
>        I'm new to tesla coil building. I would like to start my first coil
>but I living in a small town with limited resources. I have checked all the
>local stores and can find almost all that is needed for a first coil. The two
>concerns that I have are the driver and HV transformer. First, does each
>driver need to be custom built for each coil? or can on driver controll
>several different coils. If one driver can controll several different coils
>where can I get plans for one that will last.  Second where are the best
>places you have found to buy transformers? I am like many colledge students
>w/ more time than money and want to get all the building correct the first
>time. Thanks in advance for any imput and or suggestions.
>
>Nathan Howard
><<<
>
>Do you intend to build a tube or solid state coil?  If not, I'm not sure
>what you mean by driver.
>
>The Richards both suggest going to neon sign shops and going through
>their "trash" heap of dead neons.  Perhaps one of them can elaborate.

Chip, and All

Thanks for the input. The coil plans I have are for a solid state DC powered
coil w/ a 25V .5A power supply. (wimpy coil) What are the advantages of
using tube coil in comparison to a solid state? I would prefer to build
which ever one is the most forgiving. There is a lot of discussion on "
rotary gaps ". What are these exactly? They sound like the distributer cap
and rotor in a car. Is this correct ?, and where could I get alternate coil
plans on the net? I have driven the local book stores nuts trying to find
info. on TC's.

Nathan Howard

If it jams, force it. If it breaks. it needed replacing anyway.