[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: EMF Problems?

Tesla List wrote:

> >From DELCOKEVIN-at-aol-dot-comTue Aug 27 22:13:56 1996
> Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 07:35:36 -0400
> From: DELCOKEVIN-at-aol-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: EMF Problems?
>
> To All,
>
> My cousin, who recently has gone through bone marrow transplant for blood
> cancer, was asking me if being in an intence rf field around large Tesla
> coils
> could cause any harm?  I said that I never even thought about it. I am not
> refering to XRAY or light emissions. Does anyone out there know about the
> effects of RF fields and the human body?
>
> Kevin M. Conkey

Kevin,

Dave Sharpe, our group's safety guy, latched onto an industrial safety
spec for workers associated with RF environments.  The spec stated that
for 8 hours/day the field level must be below 10kv/meter between 1-10mhz.
 No spec was issued for lower freqs.  The average large Tesla coil
(nemesis) can produce millions of volts per meter out to ranges of 10-20
feet!  The exposure is short and the frequency low.  This short
exposure coupled with lower frequency, reduces the problems of high field
intensity considerably.  A table top coil is in the range of 10KV/meter
out to 6 feet.  Again, no one runs their stuff 8 hours a day every work
day.

The word is sort of in on power lines and ELF!  It seems that the
original studies which tended to indicate some possible problems with
large ELF fields (Swiss-Finnish) were grossly flawed and there now
appears to be no problem associated with large low frequency fields.  Its
the frequency that gets you!

Richard Hull, TCBOR