[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Addendum-DC Tesla

>From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Addendum-DC Tesla
>

> This interesting method of rectification and elecron emission (field
>emission) is seeing a modern revival in HV diodes and miniature X-ray
>tubes.

Richard and Malcolm,

	An aside: Several years ago a field emission triode vacuum
tube was announced in one of the electronics trade journals. They are
made by 3 dimensional etching, in silicon, millions of micron sized
field emissive cathodes. Various steps were then used to build up a
cylinder, cap it, etch a grid over it, build up a cylinder, cap it and
make the plate.  Field emissive cathodes are also being used for
flat-pannel vacuum fluorescent (that is: cathode ray ) displays. It
amazes me how technology can go in circles right back to a starting
point.

> All you need is a material of high work function and microscopic
>surface area to emit electrons.  High voltage isn't even needed with
>proper design!!

How about 2 materials of different work functions? Say, aluminum and
air. copper and air or polyethylene? The first would explain the
output rectification being proposed/observed here, the second the high
static charge build up on the secondary coil former.

	Regards,

	jim