[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: "Astro-Coil P1"

Tesla List wrote:

> >From coco-at-astroman-dot-comThu Aug 15 16:39:26 1996
> Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 16:46:04 -0500
> From: coco-at-astroman-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com, Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: RE: "Astro-Coil P1"
>
> Hello all,
>
> Man or Astro-man? has returned from it's west coast tour,
>  and the "Astro-Coil P1" has made it back to the lab in one piece!
> The coil topped of the show over 20 nights in a row, with only a few exceptions.
> Output/performance was reliable, with only a few problems.
>
> 1.Lifting the unit in/out of the trailer while in case. (Ugg)
> 2.RF interferance problems as suspected
>      a.noticeable noise in most PA systems
>          - One damaged mixing board, although it was evidently giving
>           the club problems for week, perhaps RF pushed over it the
>            edge, perhaps not.
>      b.signif. amounts of interferance with club lighting controller
>          - I assume the stray RF was causing the scr's in the controller
>            boards to activate the lights...even with all faders off.
>          - 12 channels of lights on one controller unit evedently damaged,
>            but here again, club love to blame anything for failure of their
>            equipment.
>
> Other than that...all went great!  Actually, the two damaged pieces of
> equipment happend on the last two nights of the tour, one in Atlanta, and
> one in Athens GA.
>
> I purchased some additional RF filters while at APEX in Los Angeles...I
> picked up 6 units that each handle 40amps (these unit are quite sizeable),
> and 2 that handle 60amps (even bigger!)
>
> *******
> QUESTION: since these are meant to filter RF from the source line before
> going to some devive...do I need to run them backwards since the device
> (coil) is the source of the RF..or will it still work as intended?
> *******

#####
Answer:  They will filter either way.  Use as normally connected. RHull
####

> I also picked up the following capacitors:
> 2mfd 10kv  (two of these)
> 1.6mfd 36Kv (one of these)
> These appear to be from power line equipment...can they handle pulse use,
> as in tesla coils?  and what about direct shorting (for use in various cap.
> discharge projects)?...
> #######
Most of these PF correction caps are either paper or paper/plastic
dielectric and can be used for pulse work, though not ideal for the
purpose.  The caps you have are far too high a value for anykind of Tesla
work, as is.  RHull
######

> Ok... well the coil will be going up the east coast..leaving on sept.4
> if interested in seeing when/where it will be..you can find the tour dates
> for Man or Astro-man? at http://www.astroman-dot-com   go to the SHOWS section.
> And if you can attend, just let me know..I can get you on the guest list
> (free entry), and would love to meet fellow coil builders.
>
> .over
> Robert DelBBueno

Robert,

Congrats on the successful tour.  The caps mkight be better for exploding
wire experiments.  They would have to be heavily modified to use with a
Tesla coil.

Richard Hull, TCBOR