[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: SRG's and Neons

Hi Skip,
         I think you can best model the primary circuit using a
standard second-order differential equation (standard RLC solution).
The secondary resistance appears to be be negligible beside Xl,
so using the simplified DE with initial conditions corresponding
to different parts of the mains cycle with the capacitor starting
at zero volts should get you sort of there. In operation, the
static gap ceases to fire around 50V at whatever polarity. O.K.,
some math involved. Sorry. The transformer inductance to use can be
calculated in the usual way from V/I. If you want to include the
resistance, you can, but I don't think it'll make much difference
beyond giving a more reasonable value for the Q of the circuit.
Model it as a voltage source in series with L and C.

One solution,
Malcolm