[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coils

cc. tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com
    mrbarton-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com

Hi Mark and others,
                   An extra note on the discussion of primary-
secondary matching in the coil. I realized over the weekend that
there is a strong piece of evidence that I had previously overlooked
to support the idea that the coil must be considered a coupled system
during secondary spark production. At higher power levels, it is
found that the frequency the primary is tuned to must be lowered
beyond what the scope shows is correct. I have heard figures ranging
from 1/4 extra primary turn to a full extra turn. This would not
be necessary UNLESS the primary can "see" the extra secondary capa-
citance caused by the secondary corona/sparks. It can only do this
while the primary gap is firing. QED.

Malcolm