Re: New Coil!
Subject: Re: New Coil!
From: richard.quick-at-slug-dot-org (Richard Quick)
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 1995 04:18:00 GMT
>Received: from ns-1.csn-dot-net (root-at-ns-1.csn-dot-net [22.214.171.124]) by uucp-1.csn-dot-net (8.6.12/8.6.12) with SMTP id WAA24360 for <tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com>; Fri, 6 Oct 1995 22:48:03 -0600
* Original msg to: Lazer-at-netcom-dot-com
* Carbons sent to: usa-tesla-at-usa-dot-net
Quoting Stan Harle <lazer-at-netcom-dot-com>:
> Now for the killer question: How'd you make the neat flat coil
> on your video? My guess was that you got it roughed in, then ran
> several drilled pieces of plexiglass along the windings to form the
> support. My friend says that you drilled and split the PVC, then
> epoxied or hot glued. Who's right?
Your friend. The conductor is a single 100 foot length of soft copper
tubing. First I worked it into a rough spiral on the carpeted living
room floor. It took about three days of wrestling to get a rough shape.
The actual coil form was made up of long strips of plexiglas (acrylic),
not PVC. I drilled a row of evenly spaced holes down the centers of the
plexi strips, then I cut the strips into two parts (lengthwise), bi-
secting the row of holes across the centers. I used a metal blade on
the bandsaw for these cuts. I called these plexi strips "combs" because
that is what they resembled.
At first I made no effort to glue everything down. I used nylon wire
ties to hold the combs together around the coil. The coil was still
far from looking good, and needed a lot of tweaking to get all of the
turns evenly spaced. The nylon wire ties could be removed to loosen up
the plexi strips. When loosened, I could ease the conductor around a
bit, the the combs were reclamped with fresh wire ties when things were
a little more even. The coil was firing at this point, but was not
permanently affixed to the base.
It took about three months before the coil was trained well enough
that I risked permanently bonding things together with epoxy. I used
a slow cure epoxy because of the size and complexity of the work. One
pair of combs at a time were freed of the wire ties and well bedded
in epoxy on all contact points (both around the conductors and on the
coil base). The combs were weighted and clamped in place until a full
cure was obtained, then I went to the next pair. The last two pairs of
combs were epoxied simultaneously.
The end result was a nice even flat sprial coil that looks good, works
great, and can hang on the wall like "art" when not in use. This coil
had more than a few hours spent on the design, and many more hours
that went into the actual construction. I feel the results are worth
... If all else fails... Throw another megavolt across it!
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12