[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Primary Q's and Spark Gaps

	Just getting back to a topic which bugs me a bit: based on some
comments by Mark B., I was rather suprised that people are only getting (and
correct me if this is wrong) primary Q's of maybe 10-20 with no coupling to
the secondary circuit.

	Throwing some numbers at it, let's assume the primary inductances
people might use are, say, Lp=100uH and the primary capacitance, Cp, might
be 20nF. Estimating Qp=sqrt(Lp/Cp)/Rp, the "average" primary resistance
from all factors such as spark gaps, skin, proximity, adn dielectric losses
should be about Rp=0.3ohm. Seem reasonable?

	Is most of this Rp coming from the spark gap?

	If so, have there been any serious attempts to improve the
conductance{of the spark gap? I realize that we've got a catch 22 situation
here: gaps that have high conductance are usually harder to quench- still,
I'm curious...

-Ed Harris