[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Power

cc: tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com

Richard,

Thanks for the response yesterday regarding input power and capacitor
size/rating.  I need to decide where to go from here.

Power is what it's all about.  I have a primary, secondary and toroid capable
of producing at least six foot discharges.  I don't have transformers or
capacitors to support this.  I was seriously considering going down to 9kv
and fixing my shorted capacitor.  As you stated going down in voltage isn't
really the best answser.  I think I need to make some more capacitors.  I
want something that I can run at maximum power for 2 to 5 minutes whenever I
want - without worring about ruining something.

I see two options.  One is to fix my shorted capacitor and build two more
just like it.  Then I would have four .018mfd capacitors that I could use in
series/parallel for .018mfd total.  I would feel confident running this
combination at 12kv or 15kv - with only 6 or 7.5kv across each cap.  The
other option I see is to make two new capacitors using .090 poly and run
these in parallel for .02mfd.  I would think these should stand up to 12kv -
I don't know about 15kv with a high duty cycle.

Comments?   Thanks,  Ed Sonderman