[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Books, misc.

Getting slightly off the subject of Tesla coils, "Lighting" by Martin Uman
is an interesting technical book ("advanced undergraduate in physics
or engineering" level) about past and present lightning research (up to
1983 when the book was revised).  Chapters include "Introduction to
Lightning", "Lightning Photography", "Electric and Magnetic Field
Measurements", "Current Measurements", "Lightning Spectroscopy",
"Thunder", and "Theory: The Discharge Process".  In addition to just
being downright neat, some of the measurement techniques described
or referenced could probably be used or adapted for Tesla coil
research, particularly if you're experimenting with power transmission
and the like at fairly low frequencies.

He also has a less technical (i.e. - no math) book about lightning called
"All About Lightning" that I just got for my (precocious) 10 year old that
is written at about a middle or high-school level.

The books are published by "Dover Publications", 180 Varick Street,
New York, N.Y. 10014.  I think they are worthwhile and they are
certainly inexpensive enough ($7.95 and $5.95 for "Lightning" and "All
About Lightning" respectively).  Thinking about 90km discharges at tens
or hundreds of thousands of amps can really put things in perspective
(something to shoot for?).

Steven Roys (sroys-at-radiology.ab.umd.edu)