From: richard.quick-at-slug-dot-org (Richard Quick)
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 22:23:00 GMT
>Received: from uustar.starnet-dot-net by csn-dot-net with SMTP id AA26117 (5.65c/IDA-1.4.4 for <tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com>); Fri, 3 Feb 1995 17:29:53 -0700
* Original msg to: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
> From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
> To: richard.quick-at-slug-dot-org
> Subject: transformers
ES> You asked me some questions on my transformer disassembly project
ES> recently. Apparently my reply to you was undelivered. I received
ES> a message from the system that said so. Here it is again.
ES> There was no pfc capacitor inside, I meant to tell you this.
Those xfmr guys were trying to steer you wrong!
ES> This transformer did work when I got it but I did something real
You don't have a monopoly on this.
ES> and apparently got water in it when I cleaned it up and painted
ES> it. Then it quit working - even after I dried it out.
Water and Tesla components do not mix...
ES> I was very unhappy to loose this one after it took me about a
ES> month to find it. I started with this one because it was the
ES> only bad one I had.
ES> Good news -- It is unpotted, dried out and it works!! I am
ES> very pleased. Now I need to build a new housing to put it in.
ES> Thanks, Ed
Well I won't say that it works all of the time, but it does work a
lot of the time... You can see how a few hours of work, and dealing
with a little mess, can net you a working core.
You don't really need to put it in a new housing. In fact you are
probably better off just leaving it like it is, maybe put a couple
of coats of polyurethane over the windings.
... If all else fails... Throw another megavolt across it!
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12