[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Telsa Patent 511,???

 * Original msg to: Tchand-at-slip-dot-net
 * Carbons sent to: usa-tesla-at-usa-dot-net

Quoting tchand <tchand-at-SLIP.NET>:

> I don't remember where I saw it, but I believe some posted
> about one of Tesla's inventions...a Physical Resonator (could
> shake buildings down)...anyway the patent number was given as
> 511,??? I searched my records and the only patents that Telsa
> had of the 511 series were:

> Electrical Transmission of Power
> 511,915
> Jan.2
> 318/75/66/62

> Electric Generator
> 511,916
> Jan.2
> 320/75/66/62

> I have a list of what I thought were all his patents (althought
> I could be wrong), if anyone remembers that post and could
> clarify the patent name or the patent number it would be most
> appreciated...Thanks!

Try Patent No. 514,169, dated February 6, 1894, titled:
             RECIPROCATING ENGINE

Tesla also patented a steam engine that employed a similar (near
identical) movement: Patent No. 517,900 dated April 10, 1894
titled:      STEAM ENGINE

But, if you had taken time to examine the mechanical action of
Patent No. 511,916 that you referenced above, you would see the
exact same mechanical principal. In Patent No. 511,916 the
reciprocating shaft of the engine (the mechanical oscillator) is
coupled to an alternator and the system is specifically designed
to produce an isochronous AC current. Another type of electro-
mechanical engine was described in the same patent, No. 511,916,
where the mechanical oscillation is controlled by an alternating
current fed into the machine.

The actual mechanical movements of the early machines were
relatively small once they were unbolted from their electrical
sections. The early working models did not employ the more
advanced oiling systems and heavy frames shown in the patents.
The engines were machined out of a simple rough casting, and were
lubricated by putting a shot of oil into the steam feed line
before they were fired up. A nice photo of a steam or compressed
air fired reciprocating engine that would easily fit into a coat
pocket is shown on page 36 of:

NIKOLA TESLA ON HIS WORK WITH ALTERNATING CURRENTS
AND THEIR APPLICATION TO WIRELESS TELEGRAPHY, TELEPHONY,
AND TRANSMISSION OF POWER
N. Tesla, edited by Leland I. Anderson, published in 1992 by Sun
Publishing, Div. of Boyle & Anderson, Denver, CO., 80219. Library
of Congress Catalog #92-60482, ISBN 0-9632652-0-2, paper 237pp;

It should be noted that the patent approvals on these electro-
mechanical devices was years behind their development and
construction. In August 1893 Tesla used a stationary model (much
too large and heavy to move by hand) in his demonstrations before
the Electrical Congress at the Chicago World's Fair.

In the lab, Tesla had built an even more sosphisticated and
powerful electro-mechanical device described as a: "Double
compound mechanical and electrical oscillator for generating
current of perfect, constant, dynamo frequency of 10 horsepower."
This machine was photographed and documented in an article
published by Century Magazine, April 1895, Fig 2, p. 921. The
machine was constructed in 1893. I would refer you again to the
publication referenced previously to get a good idea as to how
these devices evolved, and to the exact purposes Tesla employed
them.

These machines were, for the most part, destroyed in the fire
that consumed Tesla's lab in 1895, but many photos still exist.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12