[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary Q's and Spark Gaps

In a message dated 95-12-12 11:13:27 EST, tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com writes:

>Subject: Re: Primary Q's and Spark Gaps
>
>Thanks for the note, Ed.  Have a vertical mill here and had thought
>of something like that, and glad to hear it worked for you.  I h ave
>a good supply of lucite here, so don't need a material source.  One
>question, though.  I gather you are using a flat spiral primary and
>wonder what dimensions it has vis a vis the secondary, and if you have
>an idea as to the coupling coefficient?
>Ed Phillips

Ed,

My primary is saucer shaped, rising at 30 degrees.  The inside is about 8.0"
in dia. the outside at the top is 26.5" in dia.  It is 6.0" high.  I used
3/8" copper tubing spaced on 3/4" centers and have 14 turns.  The secondary
is about 30" tall with windings covering 27.6".  The primary measures 82
microheneries.  The secondary measures 32 milliheneries.

I don't have any idea about the coupling coefficient.  I originally had it
too closely coupled - which worked ok up to 1 or 2 kva.  When I started
inputting more power, I had to loosen the coupling by raising the secondary
up 3.0".

Ed Sonderman