[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary Q's and Spark Gaps

Hi all,
        Written was.....

>     Just getting back to a topic which bugs me a bit: based on some
> comments by Mark B., I was rather suprised that people are only getting (and
> correct me if this is wrong) primary Q's of maybe 10-20 with no
> coupling to the secondary circuit.
>     Throwing some numbers at it, let's assume the primary
> inductances people might use are, say, Lp=100uH and the primary
> capacitance, Cp, might be 20nF. Estimating Qp=sqrt(Lp/Cp)/Rp, the
> "average" primary resistance from all factors such as spark gaps,
> skin, proximity, adn dielectric losses should be about Rp=0.3ohm.
> Seem reasonable?

O.K., here are some real figures based on measurement of my coil.
Stats : Lp = 11.8uH (including a couple of feet of stray wiring)
        Cp = 102nF  (extended foil)
        Static Gap firing voltage = 7.5kV

Measured Q (using sig gen and scope - i.e. no spark gap) about 50
        => Rp about 0.22 Ohms

Measured Q (operational using ping test and decrement calc.) =11.5
        => Rtot = 0.95 Ohms

        => Rgap about 0.73 Ohms!! (accounts for 3/4 of all losses)

Malcolm