[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

New Tesla Book

Remember guys, I spend my money so you don't have to...

I paid $40.00 for a book titled:

HIGH VOLTAGE GENERATION WITH AIR-CORE SOLENOIDS

written and published by Thomas W. Lee, 8329 E. San Salvador Dr.
Scottsdale, AZ  85258  USA

This book was advertised by flyer enclosed with the last issue of
the TCBA "NEWS".

The self publishing shows, with typos on every other page, poor
quality photostatic reproduction, in a nice hardcover binding.

It is too soon to give a review of the entire publication, as I
am only on page 53 at the time of this posting, but it is not too
soon to say that this recently revised work has some glaring
problems.

Generally the book is reasonably accurate and informative, but
the coils outlined in the book as standards to set for spark
production (meaning RF power processing efficiency) can be beaten
hands down for much less money with the construction and tuning
methods we regularly cover here. I guarantee our systems to be
more energy efficient and longer lasting.

Another problem that really bothers me starts with the first
series of wiring diagrams pictured on page 24, Figure 2-1, and
continues up to the point where I had to let off some steam (page
54). Every diagram shows the base wire of the secondary coil
directly connected to the 60 cycle building ground, and many show
one side of the primary grounded right along with it! None of
these circuits show a safety gap!

The sections on capacitors has two pages devoted to glass
capacitors, and another page on the G-Series mica transmitting
caps (and I found a hen's tooth yesterday...). There is precisely
one paragraph on polyethylene as a dielectric, and polypropylene
is not even mentioned (used in commercial pulse capacitors).

The example of a "high-performance" coil system uses a machine
shop nightmare of two nested acrylic tubes. The secondary winding
is on the smaller inside tube, the larger diameter outside tube
keeps the winding submerged in MINERAL OIL! (Polyurethane has
it's disadvantages, but give me a break please...). The whole
assembly must be drilled, tapped, and bolted together with nylon
hardware and silicone rubber gaskets. Holes must be drilled
through both tube sidewalls for terminal mounts and wire runs,
and those holes must also be hermetically sealed to prevent messy
oil leaks... I would hope Thor would strike me down with bolts of
lightning before I would propose such a cumbersome, unwieldy, and
expensive secondary coil design.

Coupled to this gasketed nightmare is a tiny, tiny, primary
inductance. Seven or eight close wound turns are wound directly
on the outer acrylic tube...

I will let you know more when my stomach settles....

Richard Quick
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12