[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Carts

Hi Richard and Everyone,

Well I have finally finished rolling my 4 polyethylene caps- I have just
finished submerging them in mineral oil. It took me ages to make them - if
they dont work or blow up on the first run I will be heading for the nearest
bridge :)

I should be ready to run them in a jury rigged setup in about a week or so. I
think that the Tesla circuit that I will run them in will be the one where
the gap is connected across the High voltage line. This setup is meant to be
best for preserving caps and neon sign transformers as any kickback will
hopefully be shorted across the conducting gap. Some people (I think Duane
Byland is one of them) even reckon with such a setup you do not need a safety
gap as the normal gap does the same job here? I guess I will probably still
use a safety gap just to add a bit of extra protection although it does seem
to be reduntant here. What do you reckon?

Unfortunately I cannot leave my Tesla equipment setup so instead of
reconstructing it every time I want to use it I plan (if the thing works!) to
mount a lot of the parts on a movable cart. I was thinking of having the
capacitors on the top shelf along with the sparkgaps. On the bottom shelf I
would have the neons, safety gap, bypass capacitors and toroids. The primary
and secondary would rest on the top of the cart. I would use RG213 to connect
mains power to the cart from the variac. Aluminium strike shields would be
mounted around the cart to protect the caps and neons. Do you think that such
a setup would work? - I know most setups that I have heard about seem to have
the neons separate from the other equipment. Also would the strike shields
make the coil lose power due to eddy current losses?

Best Regards,
Mark

-- Mark
       _/_/_/   _/_/_/_/       Mark Conway
      _/    _/    _/          Deep Thought BBS, Auckland, New Zealand
     _/    _/    _/          A FirstClass(tm) Macintosh GUI BBS
    _/_/_/      _/          Internet: mconway-at-deepthnk.kiwi.gen.nz