[Home][2014 Index] [TCML] Thyratron Switched Tesla Coil [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Thyratron Switched Tesla Coil

Dear Group,
Just wished to share some small success I have had in building a thyratron
tesla coil.

I threw together what components I had in stock and got 10cm sparks before
my pulse cap failed.

It looks promising and with more time I think better performance is easily
achieved. I used a thyratron to discharge a capacitor into a lc network:
http://russianpoweredvttc.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/blog-post.html?m=1

The schematic is incorrect as the thyratron in placed on the ground side
and is correctly wired (thyratron is backwards in schematic) and there is
no reverse voltage diode.

I don't know how long my thyratron will last and how much reverse voltage
it's exposed to. A lot more work needs to be done with tuning, grid biasing
and reverse voltage protection.

I am using a Russian TGI3 325/16 and a DC resonance charging circuit:
http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/tesla.shtml

I am running the filament at 7v as it was not conducting fully at 6.3v. It
was made in 1984 so it's a bit old...

Hopefully somebody else more skilled and experienced than me will build one
and do it justice. I am new to coiling and have only been doing it for 6
months.

Here is a quick video: http://youtu.be/aEPW0noN6N4

I would like to thank Bert Hickman for his advice and guidance.

Cheers!
-Wil