Re: [TCML] Science Fair Project

On 11/19/12 3:42 PM, Harvey Norris wrote:

A good quantitative experiment might be to experimentally
validate John Freau's
empirical "spark length in inches = 1.7*sqrt(input pwr in
watts)" formula..
This makes no sense to me... My coil might make 1.7 inches top arc.
How do I apply the formula?  1.7= 1.7* sqrt (1 watt ?!?)

It's empirical, so you can't apply dimensional analysis..

Example.. a coil with 100W AC power input will produce a 17" long spark (if everything is optimized, the phase of the moon is right, you're facing north, etc.)

Going to 400W will produce a 34" long spark.

A good experiment would be to see if the "square root" law applies to spark length.

Please cite a circumstance where the formula applies to reality as it does not seem to do so for this circumstance.
HDN