Re: [TCML] MOTs

Ofcourse your comments are valid, MOT's are optimized for their specific
task. IMHO the drawback is found in the 2000 turns HV winding, where the
copper wire is substituted for an aluminium wire (with the same diameter).
So resistance and heat becomes an issue. When used as PSU for a TC, it's
likely that the current (and losses) will be much higher and should be
taken in consideration.

I'm aware that pole pigs have aluminium windings, but the comparison
between a MOT and a Pig seems a bit crooked to me (though I would love to
see a Pig powered microwave oven in action ;)  Retail and industrial design
specs are worlds apart.

Here's a nice youtube video which shows the fabrication process of a pole
transformer. Here you can see the aluminium sheet winding as Steve
describes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUO3o5JTGhQ