Re: [TCML] 4 MOT stack and balasting

Hi Andrew
On Thursday 07 January 2010 08:20:28 pm andrew wrote:
> I have used ballast so I would not trip all the house breakers. As sugested
> I ground off the welds on a spare MOT, shorted it's secondary and connected
> it in series with the primary of my 4 mot transformer and varied the gap
> between the I and E sections.

Have you tried with the secondary *not* shorted on the ballast MOT?
I removed the secondaries from my "rough and ready ballast"
You will find that shorting the secondary of the ballast MOT forces it to draw
maximum amount of current, this is usually used to provide a fixed ballast with
an unmodified core.
Leaving the secondary open, or removing it, will allow the current to be
controlled by the effective inductance of the primary coil, which can be changed
by varying the gap of the core. More gap == more current == less inductance
less gap == less current == more inductance

later
deano