Re: [TCML] Tesla coil Question

Ryan Andrews wrote:
I am not sure if this is the adress to send my questions to but ut is
the only one i saw so im gonna try it. I am building a tesla coil for
my High
School science fair project. I have a 12kV, 30mA NST transformer. I
am using the tesla map program to assist me in the design of my coil.
But i am not sure how to build my MMC. i dont really understand how i
am to figure out how many capacitors i need and how i need to string
them together. Can you help? Also if you know any place that i can
get capacitors for real cheap that would help out alot

I don't know what your definition of "real cheap" is, but the standard for MMC building is the Cornel-Dubilier 942C20P15K (available from resonanceresearch.com).

You will get different perspectives for how many you need (some guys like to overbuild their MMC), but from my experience, as well as research done on their longevity, you are safe to just stick to the old Geek Group recommendations:

http://www.tb3.com/tesla/capacitors/MMCcapSales.gif

For example, if you are using a static gap with your 12/30, you would use 10 caps in series, giving you 10nF of capacitance.

Also, if you haven't used it yet, check out the following design tool:

http://www.classictesla.com/java/javatc.html

Jon