[TCML] Tesla Coil 2.0 - New Resonator In Action

http://yfrog.com/n2ij9j

This resonator was designed completely using JavaTC.  It worked the first time I cranked up the Variac.   No racing arcs.  No sputtering spark gap, no firing terry filter gaps.
I'm here to tell you what you already probably know -  mathematical models are pretty durned good.

26Ga wrapped around 6.5" PVC.  Capped at both ends with gray PVC.  Topped with two toroids (or one, depending on the experiment) - a 3x12 and a 4.5x18 5" higher.  The two toroid configuration resulted in no hits to the primary, where I was getting hits to the primary with the 4.5x18 alone.

The primary is identical to the one built by Terry Blake for his "Huge Coil", only less turns, and some variation in how it was secured.  I wrapped 13 turns of spring copper weather stripping around a 12" UHMW core, which was then sandwiched between two polycarbonate discs.   I found some extra huge "wire ties" at U.S. Plastics and I used two of these 53" beasts to wrap around the exterior of the primary.

To tap the primary, I used 2 pin vises.  I cut the handles off the vises and soldered HV stranded copper to the interior.  I then cut holes at the appropriate places in the lower polycarbonate disk, and fastened the pin vise jaws to the copper ribbon, using the measurements I got from JavaTC.   (pictures on the yfrog website above).

The only experiment I would like to run is to try to lower the secondary a bit, as I'm currently at a k=0.099, and JavaTC suggests I could couple up to 0.13 (see below), just to see if I get any more energy transfer.  But honestly,  the coil is behaving swimmingly, and I am extremely impressed at how well the design worked having followed the modeling as closely as I could.

JavaTC specs attached.

Spark length is still not hitting the theoretical max of 80 inches for my 15/150 supply.   But some measurements are suggesting I'm close to 66".    The sparks are pretty thick and bright.

I had been running the same power supply against my 4.5" secondary and primary of wound 0.25" refrigeration tubing.  At full power on the Variac I was noticing an appreciably anemic spark production compared to what I am getting out of this new resonator.  I will try to increase the power by at least one more NST before I try the full on Pole Pig.  Don't have a pole pig yet, anyway, but I'm happy enlarging the coil in progression.    And I now have a complete second resonator I can use with a smaller power supply.

I've yet to figure out how to get good video of the sparks.  Though, I admit that so far I've been limited to iPhones and Droid phones.  Some of the pics on yfrog were taken my by wife with her Nikon.  And indeed, the wife is very happy with how the coil is coming along, and this evening she called our 9PM spark run, "Absolutely Beautiful," which renews my faith in the principles of marriage, joy, and love.

Cheers,
Joe

-----------------

J A V A T C version 12.5 - CONSOLIDATED OUTPUT
Fri Aug 27 21:14:21 2010

Units = Inches
Ambient Temp = 68°F

Surrounding Inputs:
1000 = Ground Plane Radius
100 = Wall Radius
100 = Ceiling Height
Secondary Coil Inputs:
Current Profile = G.PROFILE_LOADED
3.125 = Radius 1
3.125 = Radius 2
102.4375 = Height 1
129.8125 = Height 2
1618.19 = Turns
26 = Wire Awg

Primary Coil Inputs:
Ribbon Primary Conductor

5.75 = Radius 1
7.831 = Radius 2
100 = Height 1
100 = Height 2
7.7283 = Turns
0 = Wire Awg
1.25 = Ribbon Width
0.044 = Ribbon Thickness
0.071 = Primary Cap (uF)

36 = Total Lead Length
0.2 = Lead Diameter

Top Load Inputs:
Toroid #1: minor=3, major=12, height=130.8125, topload
Toroid #2: minor=4.5, major=18, height=135.8125, topload

Secondary Outputs:

108.51 kHz = Secondary Resonant Frequency
90 deg° = Angle of Secondary
27.38 inch = Length of Winding
59.1 inch = Turns Per Unit
0.00098 inch = Space Between Turns (edge to edge)
2647.8 ft = Length of Wire
4.38:1 = H/D Aspect Ratio
107.185 Ohms = DC Resistance
55619 Ohms = Reactance at Resonance
2.04 lbs = Weight of Wire
81.578 mH = Les-Effective Series Inductance
87.341 mH = Lee-Equivalent Energy Inductance
85.932 mH = Ldc-Low Frequency Inductance
26.371 pF = Ces-Effective Shunt Capacitance
24.631 pF = Cee-Equivalent Energy Capacitance
42.72 pF = Cdc-Low Frequency Capacitance
8.64 mils = Skin Depth
19.314 pF = Topload Effective Capacitance
195.47 Ohms = Effective AC Resistance
285 = Q

Primary Outputs:

108.52 kHz = Primary Resonant Frequency
0 % = Percent Detuned
0 deg° = Angle of Primary
27.48 ft = Length of Wire
4.07 mOhms = DC Resistance
0.225 inch = Average spacing between turns (edge to edge)
3.412 inch = Proximity between coils
1.77 inch = Recommended minimum proximity between coils
30.016 µH = Ldc-Low Frequency Inductance
0.07111 µF = Cap size needed with Primary L (reference)
1.067 µH = Lead Length Inductance
159.365 µH = Lm-Mutual Inductance
0.099 k = Coupling Coefficient
0.136 k = Recommended Coupling Coefficient
10.1  = Number of half cycles for energy transfer at K
46.25 µs = Time for total energy transfer (ideal quench time)

Transformer Inputs:

120 [volts] = Transformer Rated Input Voltage
15000 [volts] = Transformer Rated Output Voltage
150 [mA] = Transformer Rated Output Current
60 [Hz] = Mains Frequency
140 [volts] = Transformer Applied Voltage
0 [amps] = Transformer Ballast Current
0 [ohms] = Measured Primary Resistance
0 [ohms] = Measured Secondary Resistance

Transformer Outputs:

2250 [volt*amps] = Rated Transformer VA
100000 [ohms] = Transformer Impedence
17500 [rms volts] = Effective Output Voltage
21.88 [rms amps] = Effective Transformer Primary Current
0.175 [rms amps] = Effective Transformer Secondary Current
3063 [volt*amps] = Effective Input VA
0.0265 [uF] = Resonant Cap Size
0.0398 [uF] = Static gap LTR Cap Size
0.0692 [uF] = SRSG LTR Cap Size
414 [uF] = Power Factor Cap Size
24749 [peak volts] = Voltage Across Cap
61872 [peak volts] = Recommended Cap Voltage Rating
21.74 [joules] = Primary Cap Energy
1220.6 [peak amps] = Primary Instantaneous Current
80 [inch] = Spark Length (JF equation using Resonance Research Corp. factors)
123 [peak amps] = Sec Base Current

Rotary Spark Gap Inputs:

4 = Number of Stationary Gaps
2 = Number of Rotating Electrodes
1800 [rpm] = Disc RPM
0.156 = Rotating Electrode Diameter
0.25 = Stationary Electrode Diameter
7 = Rotating Path Diameter

Rotary Spark Gap Outputs:
8 = Presentations Per Revolution
240 [BPS] = Breaks Per Second
37.5 [mph] = Rotational Speed
4.17 [ms] = RSG Firing Rate
35.5 [ms] = Time for Capacitor to Fully Charge
0.59 = Time Constant at Gap Conduction
615.4 [µs] = Electrode Mechanical Dwell Time
44.39 [%] = Percent Cp Charged When Gap Fires
10987 [peak volts] = Effective Cap Voltage
4.29 [joules] = Effective Cap Energy
589871 [peak volts] = Terminal Voltage
1028 [power] = Energy Across Gap
82.4 [inch] = RSG Spark Length (using energy equation)

Static Spark Gap Inputs:

0 = Number of Electrodes
0 [inch] = Electrode Diameter
0 [inch] = Total Gap Spacing
Static Spark Gap Outputs:

0 [inch] = Gap Spacing Between Each Electrode
0 [peak volts] = Charging Voltage
0 [peak volts] = Arc Voltage
0 [volts] = Voltage Gradient at Electrode
0 [volts/inch] = Arc Voltage per unit
0 [%] = Percent Cp Charged When Gap Fires
0 [ms] = Time To Arc Voltage
0 [BPS] = Breaks Per Second
0 [joules] = Effective Cap Energy
0 [peak volts] = Terminal Voltage