Re: [TCML] Dr. Resonance inductors - 1/16th of an inch?

Steve --- you are absolutely right.

I have a crate that measures approx 72" x 36" x 24" H. which contains 40 of
these air core units.  I can't imagine this crate containing "50 houses".
Not in my medium size warehouse.

Dr. Resonance

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 2:02 AM, Stephen Hiscock <stephenhiscock@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> I think people might be possibly confusing the way they calculate the
> inductance of a coil.
>
> Large inductances are NOT hard to make - and certainly don't need to be as
> big as a house!!!!!
> or are we talking about stacking large amounts of these?
>
> I believe inductance is calculated by
> L= (d^2 * n^2)/(18*d+40*l)  (MicroHenries)
> where:
> L is inductance in micro Henrys,
> d is coil diameter in inches,
> l  is coil length in inches, and
> n is number of turns.
>
> so 25 inch diameter
> length of 50 inches
> and number of turns 2000
> = 1,020,000uH
> or 1.02 HENRIES
> Which is physically quite big! - but so are tesla coils and no-one seems to
> care?!?!
>
> but if wound fairly compact they can be made smaller with more turms
>
> eg
> 15 inch diameter
> and 15 inch length
> and 2000 turns gives
> 1,03 Henries
> (but I guess this might not handle high voltage)
>
> or 5 x 5 x 3500 turns = 1 Henry
>
> or 1x 1 x 8000 turns = 1 Henry!!!
> or 1/16th x 1/16th x 30000 turns = 1 Henry!!!!
> does turns per volt matter?? -
>
> I'm sure you get the point  - it depends on the dimensions and number of
> turns - with the diameter or turns being the dominant factors
> These numbers are NOT unusual -
> Perhaps people are confusing Capacitance for inductance???
> Now a 1 farad HIGH voltage capacitor would be quite large
>
> Regards
> Stephen
>

> Jim Mora wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> It may be reasonable to assume that DC is confusing the 1mh air core choke
>> or he has a hugh Marx generator much taller than his building!
>>
>> Respectfully,
>> Jim Mora

>>> 2. Approximate physical dimensions?
>>> 3. RMS current rating?