Re: [TCML] Dr. Resonance inductors - 1/16th of an inch?

I think people might be possibly confusing the way they calculate the inductance of a coil.

Large inductances are NOT hard to make - and certainly don't need to be as big as a house!!!!!
or are we talking about stacking large amounts of these?

I believe inductance is calculated by
L= (d^2 * n^2)/(18*d+40*l)  (MicroHenries)
where:
L is inductance in micro Henrys,
d is coil diameter in inches,
l  is coil length in inches, and
n is number of turns.

so 25 inch diameter
length of 50 inches
and number of turns 2000
= 1,020,000uH
or 1.02 HENRIES
Which is physically quite big! - but so are tesla coils and no-one seems to care?!?!

but if wound fairly compact they can be made smaller with more turms

eg
15 inch diameter
and 15 inch length
and 2000 turns gives
1,03 Henries
(but I guess this might not handle high voltage)

or 5 x 5 x 3500 turns = 1 Henry

or 1x 1 x 8000 turns = 1 Henry!!!
or 1/16th x 1/16th x 30000 turns = 1 Henry!!!!
does turns per volt matter?? -

I'm sure you get the point - it depends on the dimensions and number of turns - with the diameter or turns being the dominant factors
These numbers are NOT unusual -
Perhaps people are confusing Capacitance for inductance???
Now a 1 farad HIGH voltage capacitor would be quite large

Regards
Stephen

Jim Mora wrote:
Hi All,

It may be reasonable to assume that DC is confusing the 1mh air core choke
or he has a hugh Marx generator much taller than his building!

Respectfully,
Jim Mora