Re: [TCML] Toroid question

Yes Bart,the problem of too small toroid is  usually met in common practice.Too big toroid is a rare problem :).

Dex

--- bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

From: bartb <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Toroid question
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 08:59:38 -0700

Hi Jim,

What you mention is very common practice and probably good advice to
ensure breakout (but not necessarily performance). Coils have been built
with toroids whose minor diameter is quite a bit larger and they worked
fine. For example, I use a 6.5" minorD on my 4.5" sec. I also used a 9"
x 30" toroid on the 4.5" sec when I hooked it up in the hybrid maggy
configuration. I believe power and bang size are major contributors to
the performance of a top loads ability to perform well run well. As long
as the top terminal is sufficiently charged so that the surface field
strength achieves breakdown in relation to the surrounding.

As Gary points out, we really don't have good hard numbers to predict
exactly when too big is too big. Considering the cost and/or labor of
toroids, it is something we should attempt. I personally have an
academic problem with toroid sizing. To relate a toroid size based on a
secondary diameter will not be best for all cases. It's simply an
empirical probability that many coils will do ok with, so it  does
become good advice from that standpoint only.

Take care,
Bart