Re: [TCML] Toroid question

John,
Thanks for clearing up these doubts.
I understand it is an empirical formula for how a well constructed spark gap coil should perform aproxinately.You gave an example of 12 kv/ 30 mA NST coil with SRG and 120 PPS delivering 38" sparks.I know one can even squeeze out little more juice than 360 W from such NST ,but not much.Therefore the coil outperforms the formula prediction and factor b=1.7 in spark lenght = b*SQRT(P) should be replaced by b=2.
I'm wondering if you observed a gradual spark lenght decrease in your tests as you changed sync PPS rate from 120 PPS to 240 PPS,and then to 480 PPS keeping the input power same all the time?The efficiency of power source unit matters ,but not much for bigger coils.Also power factors are high enough for SRG systems and folks are right when plugging VA instead of W.Speaking of larger coils,I don't know much data either.Here's what I've found out so far:

K.Eldridge's big Oklahoma coil:
Power input:30 kW
Break rate:120 PPS SRG
Bang size:~250 J
Spark lenght:26-27 ft

M.Denicolai's "Thor":
Power input:5 kW
Break rate: 250 PPS,DC charger realisation
Bang size:~20 J
Spark lenght:10 ft

G.Leyh's Electrum :
Power input: 95 kW
Break rate: 360 PPS,DC charger realisation
Bang size:266 J
Spark lenght:~40 ft

Dr. Resonance's Australia coil:
Power input:~150 kW
Break rate:120 PPS SRG
Bang size: ~ 1250 J
Spark lenght: 78 ft

The only system here which follows well the formula is Thor with b=1.7.The Oklahoma coil has b~1.85 while Electrum has b~1.5.I noticed that despite much higher power level Electrum use aprox the same bang size as the Oklahoma coil,but works at 3x higher PPS rate.Contoversal Dr.Resonance's  coil uses even more power,but what differs  drastically is a huge bang size of it.If the data is correct that coil has b=2.4.I think bang size means a lot.Also it is known fact that bigger coils with larger diameters tolerate higher couplings and larger bang sizes.I'm not sure if the smaller aspect ratios and larger diameters give the only advantage due to possibilty of higher coupling and larger bang sizes or there's something more to it (unknown to me).Here's interesting paper of Dr. Resonance regarding the role of secondary diameter in Tesla coil's spark performances:

http://www.classictesla.com/download/resonance_tips.pdf

Dex