[TCML] Small VTTC Progress

Here I describe some more progress on the small VTTC project that I built
a few months ago.

I had not planned to use a toroid, but I noticed the spark output was stronger  when I put a plate of metal atop the secondary, so I figured maybe it needs a  toroid. I installed a small 1" x 3" toroid, then re-tuned using the variable oil cap.  The spark seemed stronger, but later when I ran the coil again it was weaker.

I was using the 4-500 tube which I know is defective. So I installed the original  and correct 4-125A tube. This caused the spark to increase from about 3.5" to
6" which is not too bad.

Originally I calculated that an 500pF tank cap would be needed for this coil,  but with spark loading and no toroid, it actually needed about 750pF. Possibly  it needed even more tank C, but I didn't add more. So actually I'm not 100% sure  the coil needs a toroid. But it looks a lot better with the toroid anyway.

After installing the toroid, 1500pf total C was needed for the tank cap.
The more powerful spark output helped to increase the needed amount of
tank capacitance to the 1500pf value. Using an AM radio and tuning for most
TC noise, the frequency was around 550kHz.

I thought I'd get a little more spark length from this coil, but there are many
factor
s that may be limiting the output. The MOT is rather small, the tube is  small, the secondary is small with only about 620 turns, etc. Also, I'm just  tying the two tube grids together and using fewer grid coil turns. This is
what I did on my previous 4-250A VTTC and it worked OK. I had compared
the performance back then with the screen grid fed by a dropping resistor
method, and the results were the same either way.

Probably if I used a larger vacuum tube, I'd get longer sparks, but I want
the tube to be small because I don't like the appearance of a VTTC when
the vacuum tube is as large as the secondary coil.

I tried using more grid turns, but this didn't help. I also tried the raised grid coil position, but this reduced the spark length. I also tried the raised grid coil position  but used more grid turns to compensate. This almost restored the 6" spark  length, but the coil didn't seem to run as smoothly. I kept the lower grid  coil position. There's about 1/2" space between the primary and the grid coil. The grid coil is positioned above the primary coil on a Lucite form. The secondary is also wound on a Lucite form. A blue ceramic beehive insulator is attached to the top of the secondary coil, and the toroid is place on top
of this insulator.  At full power (140VAC input), the tube plate runs

an orange/red
color which is normal for this tube.

Coil specs:

Xfrmer, small MOT 2kVAC with level shifter (two 1uF MO caps with MO diode).
Tank cap, single 1.5nF, 6kV rated mica.
Tube, 4-125A, grids tied together.
Filament Xfrmer, 6.3V with dropping resistor (50 ohm, 25W) on the input
line to drop the voltage to 5V under filament loading.
Secondary coil, 2.5" x 8.875" winding, 620 (?) turns of 28 awg magnet wire.  Primary coil, 4.75" x 2" winding of 16awg pvc insulated close wound wire.
Grid coil, 20 turns of 24awg magnet wire tapped at 12 turns.
Grid capacitor, 0.001uF, 2.5kV.
Bypass capacitor, 0.001uF, 5kV.
Grid resistor 1.5k ohm, 75W fixed.
Toroid, 1" x 3" spun aluminum.
Spark emitter spike, sharpened nail extends 4" above toroid.
Note 1; no staccato system is installed.
Note 2; sparks are fuzzy, not swordlike.

Cheers,
John