Re: [TCML] Burn Through The Stem Of The Globe?

I can confirm this too. I have an old Strattman Design 12" globe that I
refilled with pure xenon. I ran it continually from the smaller flyback power
supply from Amazing1 (Information Unlimited) and after a few weeks, the flyback
burned up. (The smaller Information Unlimited power supply operates from 12
volts DC.)
I thought it was the flyback's fault, until I saw a crack in the  top of the
stem. It looks like the discharge must have concentrated in one spot  on the
ball end of the stem, and the intense localized heat caused it to crack,  and
not actually burn through. I'm sure now that the globe went first, causing  the
flyback to fail later.

Tony Greer

In a message dated 1/18/2009 9:05:34 A.M. Central Standard Time,